Today I turn 30, and it feels like a milestone. To capture the moment, here's a snapshot of my life right now.
- I still love to travel.
- My two main travel dreams right now are to 1) go to Asia and buy cute stickers and 2) do a giant USA road trip.
- I am emotionally addicted to tea. The caffeine has little effect on me, but the ritual of preparing the tea tray and the glorious smell are something I have a hard time living without.
- Lately I’ve been focusing on seeing smaller. I want to notice what’s beautiful in the moment.
- One way I try to engage #4 is through photography. I love taking photos on my phone. It’s so easy and I really cherish looking back at these photos.
- A long term goal that I’ve been working on is walking more. I sit a lot (doing the things I love), so I’ve been making an effort to move around frequently throughout the day. My Fitbit has helped with this, as has listening to audiobooks and podcasts.
- Reading has always been my favorite thing to do; currently I’m really enjoying memoirs, learning from people who can share their story well.
- The book An Altar in the World by Barbara Brown Taylor is the most personally influential thing I’ve read in a while.
- My favorite movies these days are slice of life style; the less plot the better.
- I’m real keen on my capsule wardrobe. For one thing, it’s the first time I’ve gone out and purchased clothes as an adult. For another thing the planning and considering involved in keeping it small has really helped me to find a personal style that makes me excited every day to get dressed.
- My favorite outfit right now is a floral tank top, black jogger-style pants, and a drapey cardigan.
- Pinterest has been a big help in finding my style. And not just for clothes. It’s helped me to identify what I love in my home, and in scrapbooking, and in determining what creative thing I want to try next. By paying attention to themes in what I’m constantly pinning, I’ve learned a lot about myself.
- I am obsessed with white. Followed by black, then gray, then pink, then--surprisingly--blue. Also polka dots. And stripes. And obnoxious floral patterns.
- It took 30 years, but I’m finally comfortable with my hair and have several hair styles I can do quickly and easily and look like I know what I’m doing. This is not a small accomplishment.
- Also, another great feature of being 30 is that my skin is settling down and sometimes I even look at my face and think, “skin is looking good.” Never thought I’d see that day either.
- In trade for the skin though I’ve given up some (a lot) of my hair to gray. I’m not sure how I feel about this. I never thought I’d be a gray-haired person at 30. Life is surprising like that.
- I’m currently excited that after years of trying to be a journaler, I’ve finally stumbled on something that I actually enjoy. I’ve been making little daily notes in a planner and then amusing myself making it cute. It usually feels like the greatest thing I’ve ever done, plus stickers.
- After years of doing strictly digital scrapbooking, I’m starting to enjoy doing some tangible smaller projects.
- Every day I’m 100% surprised that my job is to get up and make stuff. I am surprised both that this is a possible thing someone could do for her livelihood and also that I can actually make stuff. I spent a lot of time being all logical and doing math. I’m still trying to figure out what happened.
- I love pandas.
- I love having fresh flowers around the house. It’s a quick trick to making me feel enthused about my surroundings, regardless of other details that might be bothering me.
- Self-serve frozen yogurt has become my number one favorite thing to eat.
- I’m still not a vegetable enthusiast, but I certainly eat more than I used to. My favorites are carrots and broccoli. I also don’t mind spinach.
- In the winter I enjoy making soups. And I always enjoy baking cookies.
- I love living in Oregon. The giant trees speak to me in a special way.
- Also, I love cool weather. I always want to be able to wear a sweater.
- But not too cold, because I also only wear sandals.
- The Oregon Coast is one of my favorite places ever. I love the combination of the beach, the trees, and the hills.
- My biggest dream is to have a dog. However, that also requires being a little more settled than I’m currently willing to be.
- I also dream about traveling more, owning a house, and having more creative skills that don’t rely on a computer (drawing, painting, etc). I’m excited to see what the next decade of my life holds!
Pixel Scrapper Blog
Hi There! I’m Marisa Lerin and you’ll see me around at Pixel Scrapper a lot. I started this site in 2010 soon after I discovered a new love in digital scrapbooking. Pixel Scrapper has gone through some significant changes since that time and it’s grown into this lovely community site you are seeing now. I am daily surprised by the turn of life’s events that has led me down this path. If you're new to the site, welcome! Here are a few tidbits about me that I hope will help you get to know me better!
I’m originally from Minnesota, USA, but spent a good chunk of my childhood living abroad (in Bolivia and Hong Kong). I returned to Minnesota to attend university, got married and then moved overseas again (Korea, then Jordan and 1 year of traveling). My designs are heavily influenced by these many nomadic years. I am currently back in the USA, now living in the great state of Oregon!
I have no official training for what I’m doing, since I decided very wisely (haha) to study physics in university. I am always learning new things about digital scrapbooking, and this community has been immensely helpful for that!
If I manage to stop digital scrapbooking you will probably find me watching TV, reading or baking. I also enjoy writing for the blog here at Pixel Scrapper where I talk about whatever happens to be catching my fancy at the moment.
- November 2012 (9)
- December 2012 (37)
- January 2013 (17)
- February 2013 (13)
- March 2013 (20)
- April 2013 (26)
- May 2013 (29)
- June 2013 (9)
- July 2013 (8)
- August 2013 (13)
- September 2013 (16)
- October 2013 (14)
- November 2013 (16)
- December 2013 (12)
- January 2014 (15)
- February 2014 (9)
- March 2014 (15)
- April 2014 (11)
- May 2014 (4)
- June 2014 (9)
- July 2014 (8)
- August 2014 (7)
- September 2014 (8)
- October 2014 (13)
- November 2014 (6)
- December 2014 (3)
- January 2015 (13)
- February 2015 (14)
- March 2015 (14)
- April 2015 (13)
- May 2015 (12)
- June 2015 (11)
- July 2015 (2)