So for the most part the whole transition from the old Pixel Scrapper site to this new one has been going pretty well... thanks to all of you who have been interacting on the site!
The only thing that hasn't gone so well has to do with Google: because of the restructuring of the site, some of the pages that used to exist don't exist any more, or are at a new location, and because of that, Google has lowered our search ranking. Which is normal during a site move or reconstruction. But it's been a while now, and Google still seems uncertain about our new site. As in, they've essentially removed Pixel Scrapper from search results.
Historically, about 90% of our traffic has originated from Google, but we are now receiving close to nothing from them. Here's a nice little graph of what's happened to our search impressions:
The lack of traffic from Google has actually been kind of nice during the last few weeks as we've started out the beta: you don't want tons of traffic when trying to fix bugs. But at the same time, we need that traffic to come back in the long run if this site's going to sustain itself (I also need to get our donation system up if that's going to happen!).
So here's where you come in. We don't have our donation button up yet, but if you use and enjoy Pixel Scrapper, you can donate in another way: by linking from your website or blog to ours.
Links are a big part of how Google determines which sites are "okay", and that's what we need to be right now.
We hope that you'll do this mainly to support the site, but we also want to say thank you to anyone who helps restore our search rankings. Anyone who links to us will receive:
- 30 community points for a permanent, front page link to PixelScrapper.com (not a sub-page) OR
- 20 community points for a permanent link on another main page (favorite sites, resources, etc) OR
- 10 community points for a blog post that includes a link to Pixel Scrapper, or any link to a Pixel Scrapper sub-page.
Text links or button links are equally fine.
Please click here to grab our link code, or a button.
Afterwords, just post here, or use the contact form to let us know where your link is.
Please spread the word, and help us restore Google's faith
P.S. A big thank you to everyone who has already linked to Pixel Scrapper!
Every little link, every bit of exposure helps. For example:
- Sharing Pixel Scrapper links on Facebook.
- Pinning Pixel Scrapper items to Pinterest.
- Sharing links to Pixel Scrapper in other forums when particularly relevant (but of course don't spam)
- Sharing Pixel Scrapper links on Twitter, or any other social media site.
And most of all, you can help by spreading Pixel Scrapper via word of mouth: if you like the site, maybe you know some people (in person, or via the internet) who would like it too; invite them to sign up, and join the community!