Designer Challenge - Summer Series 2016 - Part 2/7 Due 7/13

45 posts / 0 new
Last post

Amy, I hope you didn;t take it wrong. It was just a suggestion. I made a kit recently that is black and off white/very light gray, and I noticed how hard it was for some people to make it work with the papers be in the same colors. I love your papers and the colors you used. Like Sunny mentioned above: Everyone has a different creative "eye", so do what feels right for you.

oh no, not at all!! smiley While my patterned papers may have a white background, they can be easily layered with the painted papers and I'm happy with that. when i tried to create patterned papers for THIS kit that didn't have a white background, they felt forced and that's why I changed my mind....they just didn't seem to go with the overall look.

@Sunny Thanks!!

@Holly The painted papers are something new I've fallen in love with I got Art Rage with my Wacom Intuos and it has just opened up doors for me. I couldn't make white textured papers to save my life or anything white and textured....white is a VERY hard color for me...especially when recoloring something that has dimension. Now, I have all these cool textures and things to play with...i can make transparent png files into stencils for added oomph...i am in love lol! And omg does it make watercolor looks sooooooo easy!!!! I absolutely LOVE the effects I got with the bleed to create some of the papers....yet, i don't remember how i did it and am kicking myse find the tool and preset i used...lol

I absolutely love ArtRage, Amy. I've been using it for a couple of years, and you're right, the watercolor is SO easy. The oils are easy too, and so is the glitter tube (fantastic for adding just a bit of sparkle to the edge of an element or as a page border, especially if you allow the color to vary a bit like a multitonal glitter!!) I've picked up the Android version as well, so I can sketch elements on my tablet while waiting for appointments and then pull them into the desktop version when I'm home. For $5, it's well worth having that ability. When it comes around to Black Friday, I'm planning on getting a Creative Cloud subscription if they're on sale again, so I can have Illustrator and Photoshop on the go as well.

As far as white and textured in Photoshop, I've either gone with a hard light or color burn layer mode for the texture to get it to show up without making the color go all grayish.

as a student i have creative cloud for like $20/month....do you have kids with a school email address? That might work too. If I didn't have the student discount, I couldn't afford it..lol. I actually had a coupon I was able to use to buy my sub here for the whole year with my last financial aid check. I try to avoid monthly payments when i can....besides paying the whole year tends to give a discount. I upgraded (for $20) from artrage lite that came with my intuos to the full artrage within a e weeks of getting my intuos. My next purchase is going to be the wireless kit for it.....I do a lot of work on my laptop...too many cords. I also use my intuos and a scratchpad app to do my algebra homework on my laptop...pretty cool. I will have to check out ArtRage Mobile.....however, I chose the intuos over a regular tablet and I don't have one (unless I steal my kids'....lol)...oh and I LOVE how if you use a stencil with the glitter, it literally "piles it up" to create a 3D effect....glitter and the ability to create my own stencils, sticker sprays and canvas textures are some of my favorite things about artrage....i almost use it more than photoshop.......almost lol. The downside is, if I want to create a rounded element with a textured background, i have to go painstakingly cut it out on photoshop and try not to miss any jaggies or strays....

Unfortunately, my son is no longer in school--he's got a .mil address rather than a .edu one now. I didn't have the money to get a CC sub last year, so I'm still on PS CS5.5.... I usually try to avoid monthly payments too, but an annual sub for CC is way outta my limited budget, so that may have to be a sub. I wish I could get both PS and Illustrator in a sub that didn't cost me $50, but you only get one or the other for $20/mo. smiley

ArtRage for Android also works on phones, if you're so inclined, so it's not like you'd have to steal the kids'--I just find it lots easier to work on my 8" tablet than on a 5" phone screen.

yeah...i got fat fingers...lol. a 4.5in phone and can't find a stylus i like..lol. i share my 2 older girls with my ex husband so they're not always here but they don't move electronics from one house to another plus with their rules for usage...i'm not really stealing them lol. Plus, my ex got our 13 yr old an iPhone 6...so she rarely uses her tablet anymore....

I picked up a Wacom Bamboo stylus to use with my Samsung tablet...it wasn't cheap, but it's closer to the size of a normal pen, which makes all the difference in being able to actually draw for me. The one I have isn't available anymore, but this is the closest I can find--you can see how it would work pretty well for someone who likes a slightly tail-heavy pen.

Here are my generic papers , hope you like them smiley

@Holly....now THAT is my kind of stylus!!!

Amy, I love your painted papers!! The textures and color variations are wonderful! As I was reading thru the thread about liking small patterns, I do also and up to medium sized but I love the painted and watercolor styles the best.

As I mentioned in my pm to you, I'm loving your spoonie life theme!! My favorite paper is the one with all the invisible diseases. I like the meds papers too, everyday life for me.

Wonderful papers to everyone!

@Jody thank you very much. It's my first kit where I've actually made the papers by myself without any templates so I'm quite proud of them! smiley

Pages