Designer Challenge - Summer Series 2016 - Part 3/7 Due 7/20

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
Designer Challenge - Summer Series 2016 - Part 3/7 Due 7/20

Let's make some elements!

Elements usually take me more time than creating papers so this week might be challenging for some of you, but don't give up. You will have time to add some more elements next week - during the themed +solid papers week which is usually an easier.

This week I want you to create 45-60 elements or more if you feel like it. Focus on making 2/3 of your elements generic such as flowers, buttons, brads, strings, bows, etc and 1/3 themed elements.

If you want someone to QC your kit we have a QC request thread in the forum.

If you have any questions feel free to ask. If this is your first time creating kit you may have a lot of questions, so even the smallest questions you have are welcome.

I suppose I should at least post what I've got so far...most of them are themed, but the generic ones come together so quickly for me that they're just a day or so to make. Themed ones take time to draw and get right... There are ribbons in each of the 24 palette colors because there are so many challenges that can make you a spoonie, plus I've done ribbons for the various ones that use multicolor ribbons. Still need a butterfly or two, a wheelchair, a whole bunch of spoons, more flowers, an assortment of straight/curly/folded ribbons in palette colors, some paint, brads, and I've also got to export the pills as elements...

But here's what I've tossed on a preview for now:

And looking at it, I haven't even shadowed anything... *sigh* oh well, that'll get done next time, I guess.

Here is my rough preview of elements.....I seem to have changed direction and I am going for more of a flowery theme.

[url=]Elements Preview[/url]

(Wow Holly, that's so cool that you have the talent to draw your elements so well! I don't have that talent, so I really admire it in others! I have to resort to using my shapes, brushes and patterns for my elements.)

@Sunny Faith: I didn't think I did until last spring, and I still rely on Ctrl-Z far more than I'd like, but it's easier drawing a single item than it is to draw or paint an entire thing for the wall. Start simple: it's not hard to draw a doodle flower or some artsy scribbles or a leaf or hearts or stars. For hand-drawn elements, they can be better in rustic kits than something that's totally pixel-perfect.

If you look back at the blog trains from about April 2015 to September 2015, you can see the progression in my drawing ability. I credit ArtRage for being able to gain confidence and finally explore techniques without always having the cost of paper and supplies nagging at me every time I messed something up. It made so much of a difference not worrying about it.

Sorry it's late!

i haven't had much time this week to work on stuff...will share what I have when i get a chance....lots of homework and it's my weeks with my tweens...they go out of town next week with their dad for 2 weeks....not having a car and trying to entertain 3 kids is exhausting....lol (there's nothing nearby to walk to and the heat has been ridiculous) We've been doing crafts but most of those can only be done when the 2 year old is in her bedroom from 11-1 for "nap" time (she doesn't nap, she plays but she happy about it and it gives me a few hours to do big kid stuff

here's what i got right now....

I think one of my (many) weaknesses is that I end up with an overly crowded looking preview page for elements. I have not spread them out into two separate preview pages in the past, but I think that I shall do that, in the future. I hate to shrink elements for the preview until they are hard to see the detail.........What preferences do you have on element previews? One page, or several? Do you shrink your elements, or leave them full-sized?

Sunny, elements' previews are hard for me as well. It takes me hours to make an element preview (I have an amazing CT member who is now helping me out with it) I think one preview is best for all the elements, and yes I do resize the elements when making previews especially the big ones so it depends on the elements which one gets downsized and which one will stay the original size, things like buttons or flairs can stay the original size, and things like tags or frames can me downsized.

I generally think of the preview as giving an idea or feeling of the kit, rather than all the details, which with an elements kit can be pretty close to impossible. So I focus on the main points, particularly if there's a lot of one thing in multiple colors, etc, I'll leave stuff out. Many designers include an elements list in the description, which can be helpful since not everything can be pictured.

Some good thoughts! Thank you Ania & Marisa. I'm going to "re-do" my elements preview and see if I can get something together that is more pleasing to me.