Designer Challenge - Summer Series 2016 - Part 5/7 Due 8/3

21 posts / 0 new
Last post
Designer Challenge - Summer Series 2016 - Part 5/7 Due 8/3

This week we will be focusing on word art. Word art can be a tricky one but also can be very fun to make. It is actually one of my favorite things to make because I can play around with different fonts and mix and match different styles. I want you to make 10 - 15 word art pieces. They can all be themed all you can make a variation of generic and themed. When you create your word art pieces try to mix stamps and word art clusters made with the elements from your kit. Just have fun! If you are looking for word art idea just head on over to the DigitalScrapbook.com search and see what our designers made so far to get some inspiration.

This weeks' challenge shouldn't take as much time as creating elements so if there is anything you are running behind, this is the time to catch up.

ahh...word art...the bane of my existence ....lol...i think it's because most of us try to over complicate it. I have one word art I made white making my elements...but it's a tag...

Eek!! Word art is one of the hardest things for me to do, a true challenge.

"Shouldn't" and "won't" are two different things when it comes to all the word art I totally want to do for this spoonie kit...and I'm still working on elements! smiley I've seriously got about 3 pages of things I'd love to do word art for, and I've got to choose just enough to make it a manageable task.

Word art is difficult for me, too, so this Summer Series is a challenge for me to stretch myself. Most of my word art will be on tags and clusters.

word art got put on the back burner since i forgot about the blog train....i only did 9 papers..one each color in a really nice wood texture....i very RARELY make solid papers since almost anyone can recolor a paper to a solid color....but i totally forgot it this month so most of it is just textured, recolored vectors...with a couple other minor changes....it's due Monday....oops...better than nothing and it helps drive traffic to my blog....

i don't know about you @Holly....but when i create something with texture in Artrage, i save an exact PNG copy with the canvas lighting off and opacity on 0....i then place that image exactly on top of the textured one...makes it a breeze to cut the canvas off without having to search for stray pixels and still have that awesome texture. i also learned how to create my own canvas presets...which is how i did my Back to NAture papers

Here is my Word Art preview

]2016 summer series

These are so pretty Sunny!

Those are great, Sunny!

I'm going to be at least a week late getting through the rest of the series, as my roommate and I have found a new home and are moving. Our old apartment was developing a major mold issue and the landlady and her son hadn't done anything about it for months until we started asking them every week. When they finally brought in a guy to check it, he spent about 10 min walking around with his phone as a flashlight, didn't even take any samples, and then left. It appeared he wasn't going to do anything about it, or else there's so much that the walls need ripping out. Either way, we need to move, so we're doing that--our health always has to take priority.

We should have most of the things we're keeping moved to the new place in a few more days, but then we've got to do some cleaning.

Holly I am so glad that you have found a new place to call home! The mold can be deadly. Moving can be such a crazy time, so I'll send a prayer your way that all goes well, and that this will be not just a new home, but an exciting time to grow in new ways. I'll miss your sweet and knowledgeable comments in the forums while you are gone.

It's absolutely a crazy time, and with the discovery of a couple of unwelcome tagalongs, we're having to accelerate the timetable to get everything major here by tomorrow so it can be treated by the exterminators. I'm seriously beginning to hate the old place at this point, and have a major flareup started from all the stress of trying to get everything packed and moved in a week.

We made it as far as getting all the major stuff here, though there are still some small boxes and books over there. I'll be picking some of them up after this morning's chiropractor appointment, hauling them here on the bus, so it'll only be what I can carry in one trip, probably a backpack and a plastic tote. It takes forever this way... :p

Both my roommate and I are dealing with flareups of our chronic illnesses, so we took Wednesday and Thursday off this week. I'm going to get what I can done today (Friday), but the buses don't run on the weekends, so I'm expecting to make the next trips on Monday.

No internet at the new place yet, so I'm tethered off my phone for the moment, but I really don't want to do much of that as overage charges are ridiculous. I hope to be back to designing within a couple of weeks and able to upload.

I know moving is not easy, Holly. It is important to take care of everything and making your new place to feel like home before you dive into anything else.

Everything we're keeping is over here, and we finally have internet. There's still tons of unpacking to do, but it's going to have to wait because my ankles keep swelling to softball size. So I'm listening to my body telling me to get off my feet and do something less physical...I should have at least some word art done tonight!

My earlier prediction was correct: I DO have some word art done--40 pieces, which is probably more than most kits ever have...and I've got at least that many more I want to do yet. I want this kit to work for both the really bad days when I'm down because of the pain and fatigue dragging on for weeks and for the really good days where I'm almost pain-free and able to be almost normal, when I can just go do something without having to evaluate how many spoons it'll cost me or whether I can even do it without creating problems for the next few days. I want it to work for the days where I'm having to take it minute by minute just to endure, and for the days when I'm refusing to let my illness define me and the days when I'm feeling sarcastic about life in general. That's a lot of ground to cover, so it's going to be a lot more than 20 pieces of word art...but this is a subject that you don't see many kits on, so I want to make enough to cover a lot of chronic illness experiences.

Holly, your kit is going to be such a powerful kit. I look forward to seeing it.

I needed a break from unpacking, cleaning, and word art, so I finally got my spoons shot and extracted over the last couple of days...they'll be in my shop relatively soon, I suspect, since I've done a preview of them to show here...

I still have a few more things I want to shoot, like measuring spoons...and more to draw yet, but I'm making progress, at least.

*sigh* Apparently Illustrator has a 100-artboard maximum per file...which I just hit while adding word strips to the same file I had started with quotes and other word art. I may well have too many pieces when I get done, but I'll have a lot of choices for which ones to include! Maybe I'll start a weekly quote series on the blog with the ones that don't make the final kit...

That's a cool idea Holly!