Spring 2018 Kit Series--Week 1/8 (sign up/inspiration board)

112 posts / 0 new
Last post
Spring 2018 Kit Series--Week 1/8 (sign up/inspiration board)

We do a lot of individual element/paper challenges in the Designer Challenges forum, and even some minikits, but it's been a while since we've put all of the steps together in a kit series. This one requires a bit of a commitment, so I'm announcing it with a little advance notice. Each week for 8 weeks, I'll assign you one step to complete; at the end, you'll have a moderately-sized kit to sell, use as a newsletter freebie, or give away on your blog. It's a fun way to get a feel for kit creation, and usually ends up being a small group of new designers working their way through and encouraging each other.

The planned weeks are as follows:
Week 1 (due March 23)--choose palette/theme and post your inspiration board
Week 2 (due March 30)--basic papers (generic patterns and solids, one for each palette color)
Week 3 (due April 6)--elements (4 times the number of colors in your palette)
Week 4 (due April 13)--themed papers (5-7)
Week 5 (due April 20)--word art (4-5 large plus 5-10 word bits)
Week 6 (due April 27)--journal cards (4 3x4 and 4 4x6)
Week 7 (due May 4)--catch-up week/optional add-on pack (clusters, borders, etc.) (4-6 pieces, outside shadows removed)
Week 8 (due May 11)--quickpages, previews, and release

This week's assignment is to choose your theme, choose a few images that illustrate the feeling of the kit you're going for, and choose a palette. Once you've done that, put them together on one image with your working kit title and link that image here. I recommend smaller palettes in the 5-7 color range; larger may overwhelm you if this is your first kit. Let me know if you need help choosing a palette; I've got a few that are already gamut-corrected ready to go.

I look forward to seeing your inspiration boards over the next couple of weeks before we really get into the swing of things!

Fun stuff...will you be playing along too, Holly?

This sounds fun! Keeping me scheduled might help me get this done. I'm going to be doing a "Way to Go!" potty training theme. I noticed we didn't have one on here and since I'm in the *fun* process of trying to get my little guy potty trained I thought I'd create a kit for this! smiley

I'm with you @Jessica..this might help me get a good kit together outside of just cu kits..been a little bit since I sit down and did an entire kit...I'm in if I can find the time

Looking forward to it. I'm about as disorganized as they come. Need the practice.

I definitely need the practice and will make this a priority over the next several weeks! I also have a boy, and will have to look thru my photos to see what i need that i dont have much of, or that i like in different colors! smiley thanks so much Holly!

***edited to add palatte- this is paint chip colors, so i need to fix for digital...not really doing a fairy theme, but i like the colors!! smiley

I've been wanting to do an under the sea theme, I think I'll give this a go.

Rose, I'm thinking of working on at least a portion of the Hometown Heroes theme.

Great, Holly; the reason I asked is, I was hoping you could post your week one assignment here, as an example...I've never done an Inspiration board.

Mine's more of a board of photos to get me focused, but I've seen Pinterest boards used similarly, or more traditional photography storyboards with a palette strip. I could have done fewer photos, but I want to be certain it's not US-centric.

My theme will be "BEE Kind to Yourself". The colors are not usually associated with spring, but bees are an important part of spring.

I would like to try this. I have never participated in one of these. My question is this?? Once we make the color palette and theme, do we all vote on 1 certain theme, or each of us make our theme idea?

@ Tammy-- my understanding was that you picked your own theme and worked on that.

I'm going to join in on this! I always get very overwhelmed and distracted and end up with a jumble of stuff that I hide away.

I've found a number of color palettes to use but a actual theme isn't talking to me yet smiley

Yep this challenge is for you to focus on your design process. And like Christianna said it will be your own colors and your own theme. smiley Most of all have fun!

Thank you so much!

Thank you!!

smiley

Sometimes it's easier for me to choose a theme and then pick a palette to go with it. Other times I'll look at a palette and think ice cream or Mother's Day or whatever.

I think I will give it a go. So first we pick a theme/color palette and post here by March 23rd?

I'm looking online for inspiration for my theme. Most of the images that envoke my theme are copyrighted. Can I still post them here as an inspiration board? I don't intend to use any elements from these images, just the feeling and maybe colors.

Hello Holly,
actually I would like to try it, even though I'm still new here. But I have neither a blog nor any other portal, which I could use. Just a dropbox that I've never used before. I'm also only Level 1 designer. I do not know how to upload my work for this challenge and where. do you have any instructions?
Would there be someone I can always ask, so a firm contact person? I do not want to annoy anyone with my ignorance.
Worse is my english, sorry! I use 90% Google translator. He often translates utter nonsense and I have to research badly.
If all this is not a hindrance and you help me, I would like to get involved. I have many ideas and desire too. You can also tell me that it is too early for me, I would not be angry smiley smiley

A bunch of copyrighted images that evoke the theme are fine, Dana, especially when combined into one image as an inspiration board. The inspiration board is only to give you a visual reference for the kinds of things to include and the feel of your kit.

Arite, you can certainly upload your work to dropbox, if you would like. A blog is not absolutely necessary. Many designers have one, which is why I mentioned it. You will need somewhere to upload your preview images, since DigitalScrapbook.com does not let you upload them to the Gallery or the Commons. You can add those to Dropbox and it will display previews of JPG images. Then you can just put the link to the Dropbox file in a reply here at DigitalScrapbook.com. As far as your English goes, it is not a problem for me; ask me any questions you wish to ask.

Yes, Melissa, pick a theme and color palette and put them together along with a few images that illustrate your theme, and post that inspiration board here by the 23rd.

As I sat and agonized over a tropical theme as a freebie for my husbands side hustle I just couldn't get comfortable with it. My daughter asked me what I was doing and after trying for 15 minutes to explain "theme" to a 4 year old. I went with her suggestion of Cupcakes--
because cupcakes taste good. (I did realize that I had the same color code listed twice...the correct one is 7a0624 for that last berry color)

@Christianna - Heck yeah, cupcakes are a great idea! From the wisdom of the little ones. What a sweetie she is to help her mum!

[img][/img]

I have decided on Holly's approach and got some pics that will help me focus on my topic.

So I might be looking at a roadhouse story with the emphasis on 'road' most definitely not on 'house' smiley. So there will be the crossroads, the road as such, again the road, and the road, have I mentioned the road yet?

There can be some equivalent to the Bates Motel, some bar to go with that bluegrass, maybe a suitcase and a matchbox that can hold my clothes.

Looking at what I wrote, there might be some wordart or wordstrips too smiley

Bates Motel. smiley smiley

This sounds like a very fun project smiley

Hi! I will give it a try, too. I think it'll be something like "Bloom & Flourish". I'll be back with my inspiration board.

Here's the inspiration board with my palette.

Pages