Nov 2015 Blog Train - Poll

20 posts / 0 new
Last post
Nov 2015 Blog Train - Poll

Two pretty nice palettes to choose from this month. We may end up doing both, because I'm a fan smiley

Thankful Harvest image
Thankful Harvest
56% (53 votes)
Golden Days image
Golden Days
43% (41 votes)
Total votes: 94

I'm not sure what a "golden days" theme entails. Is this the mid-century modern theme? I liked Melo's colors for that better. I'm not a fan of the "thankful harvest" colors. I'm not sure what to vote for! smiley

Oh man it is going to be a close one again. If you choose to do both Golden Days might be fun for December mid century christmas.

I had the exact same reaction entirely. I don't know what Golden Days means and I don't have any clue what I'd create for the Thankful Harvest theme within that color palette. smiley Hopefully inspiration strikes whatever it ends up being.

Not crazy about the thankful harvest colours. I like the bright colours better. I figured Golden Days just meant summer heading into fall...

Golden Days would be PERFECT for a mid-century modern Christmas palette. Let's do it for December!

Thankful Harvest is a lot closer to late-fall colors, which would be more appropriate in my mind for a November train. There's also that patron request for a heritage-themed kit, and this palette would work well with really old photos as well as stuff from the 1970s Kodachrome era, so that might be an idea for a direction to take your portion if you're stuck for ideas.

@Kayl, I'm glad I wasn't the only one. I was kind of surprised at the 2 choices. I'm still not sure what to vote for.... I do really like the idea of the mid-century/ retro Christmas theme, but I don't think the "golden days" palette works well for Christmas.

I have to admit I don't have a clue what mid-century is. I googled it and it came up with images of home interiors in what I guess is that style, but I don't know how that would translate to a digi kit?? Thankful harvest, to me, has loads of possibilities; dried fall flowers, vegetable garden harvest, even family since in the states families gather to celebrate Thanksgiving, etc. The main part of the Thankful Harvest theme is the word "thankful". What are you thankful for? That would be the individual theme of your kit. The palette for Golden Days reminds me of a summer palette with all the bright colors. To me, fall colors are darker with tones of richness and some muted tones. As for a Christmas theme I would reiterate what was also mentioned for a theme in the "working" November Blog Train. Something to do with the fantastical; fairies, dragons, gnomes, etc. I think that speaks more to December. Don't get me wrong, the Golden Days palette is gorgeous but I think it would better suit in spring or summer. Anyway, just my opinion smiley

Those are the colors from Melo's palette, plus a few from the other Mid-century image that was posted. I went with Golden Days as a sort of homage to a Golden Years/Mid Century remembering...but figured that people may not want to be stuck in a retro theme, so this way you can do what you want smiley

Now that Holly has mentioned it, it would make a good Christmas/holiday palette.

Okay, that's what I was wondering. Thanks for clarifying. I'm voting for the Thankful Harvest for November in hopes of a Christmas Golden Days theme. smiley

Marisa: Kaleena mentioned it first, but I agree with her that it'd make a fun Christmas palette. (So much so that when I saw Melo's suggestion I wanted to do a mid-century modern Christmas kit, whether or not it's a blog train theme or not!)

Erin, I think you'll be surprised at how well it works when you do metallic versions of the Golden Days palette. You've got red and green and yellow, which are the "traditional" Christmas palette, kicked up with some pink and turquoise to make it a little funkier. I'm thinking semi-traditional shapes but slightly less-traditional colors, more vector-style than totally hand-drawn (yes, I'm gonna have to learn Illustrator better for this), stylized geometric patterns, Bauhaus-style fonts mixed with 50s brush scripts.... That should be enough to give you a mental picture. smiley

I agree not sure what golden days means , something vintage popped into my head but the palette doesn't really suit, and the other thankful harvest again leaves me unknown since it is not to my country only pumpkins and turkey is my knowledge of the tradition, we are into warm weather at November and Australia has no festive things for November

I like the Thankful Harvest theme and color palette for this November a lot. It would be really nice to have a Thanksgiving theme that is not just the typical fall colors of orange, brown and yellow (which is what most other sites will be doing). However, I also agree that the "Golden Days" palette would be fantastic for a retro Christmas train for December's train. We could call it, "Christmas, Retro Style," or to be more inclusive, "Holidays, Retro Style."

Yeah, Sally, we should try to be inclusive on that, since so many cultures celebrate a midwinter holiday sometime in mid-late December. Those two turquoise shades will work all right for Chanukah stuff as well. I hope someone puts in a few items for that; I know too little about Jewish holidays to be able to do it. Yule is far easier, as the traditional colors and symbols are the same as Christmas; all it needs beyond a normal Christmas kit is some word art to cover the solstice and a couple of the seasonal pagan traditions.

Debbie, you could always do some fairly generic late-fall elements to match the Thankful Harvest Palette. As I mentioned, that palette would go well with the patron request for heritage kits to go with old photos ranging from Victorian-era sepia through 1940s black and white and into the 70s Kodachrome where all the photos had that golden cast due to the film. Someone doing a heritage album won't want lots of Thanksgiving-specific elements--they'll want a variety of journaling mats/tags/cards, flowers/greenery, possibly some strings/ribbons/buttons, and word art about family history. Maybe a photo mask or antique-style photo card with the scrollwork frame printed on the card.... None of those suggestions will clash with a Thanksgiving theme, they'll just make the train usable year-round for people who want to work with it as a heritage kit.

When the theme doesn't fit for you... make it generic!

I think solid papers, or patterned papers that aren't theme related, generic frames, mats, ribbon elements, etc. Even if you are in Australia or don't celebrate Thanksgiving/Christmas, you can make it work! Plus, it does just make the kit more usable for everyone year-round.

great palettes! smiley

Though I have voted for Thankful Harvest I love that Golden Days theme a lot..It will be so fun if it will be the topic of Christmas..I love Christmas Time so much and have a lot of plan for Christmas Goodies!!.. If I learn convenient Doodling in this 2 month which I am trying to learn very efficiently, I have a plan to create my own Christmas Characters kit and a big kit containing hand drawn doodles only smiley smiley
As for November looks like Thankful Harvest will be our destination to work on, I need to research a bit on it..I love Halloween kits very much and trying to mix up Thanksgiving treats and Halloween tricks to have fun on both..
Not trying to make any ghost though.. smiley

I love both sets, but for this time of year I love love love the rustic colors. smiley

I know it's not the place but just a sample..As I told I am trying to mix ThanksGiving with a bit of Halloween..So these two kiddies are dressed up in Halloween colors but wants to wish you a Happy Thanksgiving.. smiley

I love the retro holidays theme and, if we deceide it way earlier I´ll probably be able to join in. I miss desiginig really much!

Topic locked