Stitching 018

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
Stitching 018

I just downloaded this PSD file today and noticed a couple of issues that I hope can be easily addressed.

First, there is a duplicate set of layers, namely stitching and holes, but one set appears to be blank. I don't know whether or not these were meant to be deleted or if there is another reason why they seem to be empty layers.

Second, the background layer is locked and therefore, unavailable for editing in my PS Elements program. I get a "Place Background" popup error when I try to add a background.

Thank you for looking in to this. It is much appreciated!

Cathy .... I just downloaded the zip and have looked at the file ... it's not locked, only the pixels are locked ...both rows of stitching are on one layer and the shadows are on another ... you're right about the lower two layers being blank. To place a background try adding a new layer below the stitching and shadows and placing your background on that or simply open it in elements and drag it to the file which will put it on it's own layer as well.... hope this helps smiley

I just went back ... the background is not visible .. click the eye to make it visible and that should work as well smiley

Susan, thanks for the great tips but I have tried every conceivable combination of options but none of these are working in my PS Elements 11 program. Unfortunately, for some unknown reason, everything I do a "Place Background" popup error occurs in each instance. Obviously, there is something preventing me from making any changes or edits.

The locked pixel icon can be removed in the stitching layer if desired, but is not available for editing or removal in the background layer as it is greyed out in my program. Visible or not, the background layer remains locked and unchangeable. Anyway, your efforts are much appreciated. smiley

It seems the original file will need to be adjusted.

Cathy ... I am using PSE 11 as well and it's working in mine fine .... try resetting the preferences and restarting it .... sometimes an error message can get stuck in the memory and it will keep on doing the same thing ... ask me how I know lol

Susan, I'm at a loss here. I tried resetting the preferences as you suggested and still nothing has changed. smiley

I'm baffled that this popup error persists as I do not experience any problems with this program in creating new or editing existing files except for this particular one. I don't understand why it's functioning different in my program as we have the same version. Still, I think the best resolution is for the file to be tweaked for a redownload.

Any other options are welcomed, if you're inclined... smiley

Have you tried dragging your background into the document from the photo bin which would put in a new layer for that background above the background you are trying to replace ... I rarely use place because I usually have several pieces I want to work with at the same time and it's easier to drag and drop.... anyway try it that way

Well, this has been an interesting turn of events that I would consider somewhat resolved. I too rarely, if ever, use "Place" and typically use drag and drop as my preferred method. Therefore, although previously I hadn't considered it, still I was intrigued by your suggestion and decided to see what would happen if I chose "Place" instead and discovered that it worked...but only if I selected a file from my PC image library which defeats the purpose I intended besides creating awful pixel distortion which is never fully corrected because the image dimensions are not conducive to any ordinary image other than a solid color or pattern background.

With this in mind, I wanted to use one of the background images from within the Adobe library as an alternative source for versatility, but discovered that the "Place Background" popup error only occurs when I select any background from this library and thus, is not an option only for this file. I'm disappointed, but can live with that. Of course, on the plus side, I can use any paint can color or pattern for the background.

Thanks again, Susan for your suggestions, efforts and patience in helping me to figure this out. It is much appreciated! smiley

Ha !! lol .... you at least solved it ... what 'mode' is it saved in? I've been caught on an 'indexed' image more than once. Are you saying the drag and drop gave you pixel distortion? ... I do that all the time from the photo bin and have never had that happen in PSE 11 ... did though in the PSE 7 though

I took a look at the file as well, nothing seemed different than any other file. But I resaved it and reuploaded it just in case.

Thanks Marisa...

Susan, I was referring to my preference for drag and drop as an easy, convenient method regardless of whether or not I use the photo bin or the built-in PSE library and irrelevant to pixel distortion. My concern related to an inability to use any of the background images in this library for the background fill layer in this stitching file as I am able to do with most other files I download here. I appreciate the convenience of the automatic fill and dimension adjustment inherent in the Adobe program without distortion when applying a background image. Since the stitching 018 file requires "placing a background" from an outside source as evident from the popup errors received, more careful effort is required to find and import the right image and format (PNG or JPG?) that will not only be suitable for a very long length compared to its height in files like this, but also will retain its proportionate size to fill the background layer without visible pixel or image distortion. This involves more time-consuming effort to make manual resizing adjustment(s) with minimal or no gross pixelation as a result to achieve a natural appearance that is not skewed or stretched and seems somewhat continuous.

I just wanted another option to the paint can solid color or pattern modes offered. Not a big deal, just a little disappointed...LOL

I'm still learning PSE as I have greater experience in other multimedia programs...